Monday, February 25, 2008

Dedicated Server Installation

I have just called the dedicated hosting techs, and they told me that they got all the parts and the server will most likely be installed first thing in the morning (that's USA East Coast morning), so I should be getting the email with the info about it in around 6-8 hours. I also once again begged them to do anything possible to expedite the process, but apparently they don't do the actual installations during the night ;)

Once the server is installed, and the account transfered, I can start going through it to make sure that everything still works in the new place. I am hoping that this part will not take long, but as always we have to account for unforeseen difficulties. After I make sure that everything appears to work, I will give them the go-ahead to switch over the DNS, and after that it should only be 1-5 hrs for it to propagate (it was pretty fast last time, only took <2 hrs to propagate to Japan). So, things are moving right along.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! We appreciate all your time and effort and look forward to jumping on your site again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the updates.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate how hard you're working to get the site back up.

How unusual, that Bubbleply is down right now too. Says "not available" on my bubbleply videos.

Overstream said...

Well, it's like I feel personally responsible in front of all the people that have come to rely on overstream and are now stranded...

Yeah, weird about the coincidence with Bubbleply. I guess it's just a bad week for servers - at my day job we also had a big problem recently, there apparently for no reason at all.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it, overstream. Even if we do rely on your site (tiny baby in me cried when I noticed the text on splash page) we also want to hang out in a place that works well for both parts; for the users and the people keeping it up. So don't do anything half-assed, make sure that overstream will be ready to come back with its new server. ^__^ Until then I'll go and... uhh... go cry at the corner. XD
Oh! And that you're posting about updates makes me feel fluffy inside since a lot of people really don't do that. Like this I feel little safer.

Anonymous said...

Are we going to loose all the videos we had already with subtitles?? I had a big collection and I nedd them for my Spanish lessons!!!! HELP

Overstream said...

Of course NOT, I would never do that to you, anonymous! All the overstreams from before will be restored.

Betti said...

Thanks for the update. Pleaze don't worry about it. I really like your site.
Just take your time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your dedication. Your service is fantastic for many purposes. I use overstream for educational purposes with my pupils. It is an excellent tool. And very simple to use.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh great!!! Thank you. Your site has become really useful and almost indispensable for language teachers!!

blacku8w1eb said...

www.uSAVEdomains.com offers really cheap dedicated servers. Plus they are open 24 hours a day. You may want to check them out.