Saturday, March 1, 2008

Server Clock Screwed Up

It appears that the hosting has botched something when assembling the server, and the server clock is screwed up. What happens is that after the server is reboot, the clock is fine, but then it starts going successively faster and faster (covering 2 seconds in one, then 5 seconds in one, etc.). This screws up a lot of other things, causing me to reboot the server (which causes about 3 minutes of downtime, when none of the pages of the site load). The site generally appears to work even with the screwed up clock, but you might get some strange timestamps on your oversteams and comments until this is fixed.

I am (obviously) talking to the hosting about fixing this problem. Fixing it will result in some downtime, I will post later about how much and when it's going to happen. They also screwed up a number of other things in the server configuration as well... which overall makes me think that I made a mistake in the choice of hosting. Well, moving to another hosting means more downtime, and I am trying to avoid it, so unless the problems on the site become bad, I will try to stay with this hosting.

I feel like the curse is continuing...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guys, I am unsure what the problem is, but I am desperately trying to register for an account but never received the authentication link. I did of course tried to resend it and again nothing received. Also tried to email contact@overstream.net however the email returned undeliverable ...
Please help! The username I tried to reg with is dtodorova
Thanks!

Overstream said...

Hi, Lily,

I manually activated the "dtodorova" account. There is something very strange going on with the mail right now, thank you for reporting and I will try to figure what is going on!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!
That's been both fast & highly effective! All the best
Lily

Overstream said...

There is a couple of ways to fix the server clock problem. The hosting is supposed to provide me with estimates of how much downtime each of these options will result in, so that I can decide on the best option. However, it appears that they don't do anything important at all on the weekend, so this is going to wait till Monday. Needless to say, I am not happy with this. To keep the clock from becoming too wildly off, I keep rebooting the server every day (resulting in about 3 minutes of downtime). As soon as the downtime estimates will be known and we decide on the actual maintenance strategy to pursue, I will schedule the downtime in advance and post the info about it - here, and on the site.