Monday, March 3, 2008

Enough is Enough

OK, guys, I can't take it anymore from our current hosting. They have screwed up so majorly both with the server configuration and the fact that the clock on the current server is screwed up, and they don't even feel sorry about it or try to go out of their way to fix it. I feel that they simply do not care. That is why we will be moving to a new hosting called "MyRackspace" - they are more expensive but their quality of techsupport is known far and wide. I am currently talking to them about the server specs, etc., so I imagine it will be a couple more days before the move.

I currently have the option of having the existing hosting move us to a different server (without the clock problem) - with about 3-4 hrs downtime. However, the current server works (for better or worse, with timestamps set in the future and the registration emails getting lost left and right because the time on them is totally wrong), and I simply do not trust the current hosting to configure the new server in such a way that there are no problems. So, unless forced into it I will try to avoid that move, so we can have a single period of downtime when moving to the new hosting.

On the current hosting's site it says at the top "Stop worrying about your server!". But all I've done ever since the new server was put into place was worry about how the site is running. So, I am sorry about all the problems (at least you can still create and watch overstreams!), and I sincerely hope we will be happier at the new hosting. I will post more about the move and the projected downtime when it becomes known.

4 comments:

Melisa said...

Well, to tell you the truth Max, it always seemed like the hosting company was not very reliable, judging for the treatment they gave you while you were going to so much trouble. I understand that it was probably easier to stay within the same company, but there's really no point anymore. I suggest you tell us the name of the hosting company so that we can spread the word about their customer service and performance.

On another note, I know that many people are trying to access the TKA series (which I am sure is the one responsible for thousands of hits on Overstream). I'm not sure if the user/Overstreamer has just not subbed it yet, but you did tell us to inform you if we saw something suspicious, and on her profile (gloria wen) it says that she has been "Online: right Now" for the past 24 hours or more, which has never happened before... could it be frozen? maybe her subs were not processed correctly? Maybe it has to do with the clock? Again, it could be just that she has not gotten around to subbing it yet, but I thought it was pertinent to bring it up since it is the series that brings the most hits to Overstream every week.

Cheers Max...

Nikanena

Anonymous said...

does this mean overstream's going to be undermaintained again? like last week when we were transfering to this host?
hon

Overstream said...

I completely agree, Nikanena. The hosting is called Hostrocket, and while I still think that their shared hosting is great (tech support and everything), their dedicated hosting is nothing short of dismal - or at least that's the experience I got.

Regarding the "Online: Right Now" - that is because the clock on the server is broken. Don't believe anything that has to do with time (that is - overstream creation/modification times, comment times, login times, etc.) until we move to the new server. But yes, this is exactly the sort of thing that I was asking you guys to report ;)

So I don't know about the user... the site seems to be functioning despite the problems with the clock, and people are creating overstreams - so perhaps that user just didn't get around to it yet.

does this mean overstream's going to be undermaintained again? like last week when we were transfering to this host?

Yes, we are going to have to have some downtime ("Under Maintenance"). Definitely not as much as the previous time though, I am hoping something like 2-6 hrs.

debedb said...

Good or bad, link to them :)

I say, link to the current hosting, and to MyRackspace